Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More Yarn

Yesterday, Rick and I went on a quest to find a white belt at Value Village. Not to be confused with Value City in the U.S., Value Village is a thrift store. We looked and looked, but couldn't find a suitable belt for the wedding we are attending on Friday. I will be checking at a couple vintage stores tomorrow.
The trip to VV was not entirely a bust. They often have yarn in bags for a couple dollars each. I always look through, hoping to find something useful. Until now, I have never found anything worth picking up.
I got three skeins of Astrakhan, by Berella, in the Ocean colourway. They are 90% superwash wool and 10% fine nylon. Three skeins, three bucks. Not a bad find, if I do say so myself. There is only a very very slight odor... It's not musty or anything, so I think a quick wash will solve it.
The one problem with the yarn is... stuff stuck in it. It looks like Easter basket stuffing, and wood shavings. I think that when I unwind the yarn to wash it, it should all fall out. If that fails, I will just have to pick through it and get it all out.
I'm planning on making a kids hat and an adult hat out of this. It's rare for me to have an exact plan for yarn when I buy it, but this yarn told me that's what it wanted to be.

4 comments:

  1. I love the unexpected find when I'm shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find almost all the yarn I use on clearance - i love dollar skiens - so worth the trip out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the material speaking to you. I feel that way about the fabrics I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great color and what a cool find in a thrift store! As a broke college knitter, I definitely understand that hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete