Thursday, March 26, 2009

Culling My Stash

I have been knitting for about 9 years, which, I guess, is a long time seeing as I'm only 20. In this time, I have managed to acquire what I consider to be a substantial stash. And, if you take into consideration that most of this was given to me, it seems even larger.
I am moving out of my parents house for the first time this weekend. I have been storing my yarn somewhat sloppily in large tote bins belonging to my mother. I have tried to reorganise my stash a few times, and have succeeded, but I have always wanted clear containers to store them in.
And here comes Canadian Tire to the rescue!For those of you that don't know what Canadian Tire is, please visit the website.
I found some awesome storage containers here. Five drawers, clear, sturdy, and they have wheels! I figured I would need about 3 to house my yarn. So that's what I got. I expected to need one of those zippered Bed-In-A-Bag bags to put the small leftovers in.
Needless to say, I underestimated. By a lot. I have about half my stash in, and I didn't want to get rid of anything, because it is all precious to me, but nothing else fit!
I've buckled down and started a "give away" pile. It started out small, mostly filled with what I thought were ugly colours, or odd textures. Then it grew. And grew. And grew.
I am giving a nearly full garage bag to my local Blankets for Canada group. I have blogged about them before, and it is a charity that is easy to help. A pattern is given, but when I make my squares, I generally free hand them.
It's a great way to get rid of leftovers, and it doesn't matter how ugly the yarn is, it always looks great when it's joined into a blanket!


Just a note, since I am moving, I don't know when I will have full internet back, and I might not be updating for a few days!

2 comments:

  1. Great piles of stash are a yarn addicts comfort! You never know when one of those skeins will move you...or move with you! Good luck with your stash and your move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE MY SCARF. I AM SO STYLIN. I'M POSSIBLY THINKING ABOUT INVESTING IN ANOTHER ONE :O

    ReplyDelete