Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A new skill learned

Late last night, I finished a neck warmer, and had no idea what to knit next. Rick has been bugging me for a while to make him a large cowl with cables. I've never cabled before, and had no idea where to start learning.
In comes YouTube. I searched for "cable knitting" and watched a few videos. It's way easier than I thought!
I grabbed my yarn, a circular needle, and  a plastic yarn needle to use as a cable needle until I go get some.
Cast on 20 stitches or so and get to it.
I decided to do cables 4 stitches wide, I figured it would be easier for me to manipulate 2 stitches on my cabling needle than anything more than that.
It went incredibly well! I did two columns of cables, crossed them three times each, and decided to cast off. I'm going to practice a few more times before I start Rick's cowl.
Overall, I'm pretty happy.

Have you learned any new skills lately?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am learning lace knitting. I already knew how to knit some very simple lace pattern. But now I am interested in Victorian huge triangle lace shawls and that is what I am doing right now.

    Congrats to your cables! Well done!

    ReplyDelete