Monday, December 12, 2011

Hello, Nancy!

Please welcome my newest sponsor, Nancy! She is absolutely lovely, and knits some fantastic items!


Tell me about yourself!
My name is Nancy, and I am the creator/ owner of N. Fallon Design Studio. I make a line of hand knit bags and purses, and little note cards too! I live and work out of our row house in Baltimore, MD with my 2 furry feline friends and my mister.

How did you start hand making?
My father's side of the family is very creative; he is a furniture builder and my aunt is a painter and art teacher. I've always been exposed to art and making and learned to appreciate both the quality of handmade items and experience a drive to make myself as a child. Once I went to college I decided to study sculpture & textiles, and earned a degree in teaching as well. But it wasn't until after several years of teaching art that I realized the impulse to create full time was being neglected. So September of 2008 I opened my etsy shop and that's where my second life began!

Where do you sell, both online and elsewhere.
My online shop is NFall2rt
This holiday season I started selling at craft shows. A goal for this year is to get my line into some brick & mortar shops around Baltimore!

What do you do other than create?
I love nature. I grew up in a valley surrounded by the Shenandoah mountains and can never seem to get enough of them. I go hiking and camping quite frequently during the spring, summer, and fall, and occasionally during the winter as well! Additionally, my fiancée and I love cooking. He almost went to culinary school, but went into another field instead. Even still he's retained his passion for cooking and passed it on to me. I find that it's just another medium for creativity.
It's great having a loved one interested in cooking.
What does your workspace look like?
We live in a row house in Baltimore with an open floor plan, so my studio is wedged between the front sitting area and the kitchen. Since it's right when people walk in, I have to keep it a bit on the neat side. I am very fortunate to have a giant Ikea wardrobe with deep drawers and shelves to store my inventory and materials. I've also got a long table for sewing and blogging. Next to that is my drafting table, which is mostly used for spreading out pieces waiting for linings and fabric cutting these days.
I wish my space was as tidy as this. Hopefully one day it will happen.

What is your most indispensable tool, that you would be completely lost without?
My most indispensable tool is a pair of size 7 bamboo knitting needles. I typically use worsted weight yarn for my bags and purses, so I use these needles almost daily!
I love working with bamboo needles as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment