Friday, January 11, 2013

My Week in Instagrams: January 11, 2013

Pardon my mediocre mood today. I just got some crummy news regarding my job, so that's weighing heavily on my mind. I am still employed, barely, and there is nothing I did wrong; our workplace is just screwing us over big time.
Here is what I've been up to over the past week
1) Rick's mom got me a birthday cake. We had it after the sausage soup she made. Both were quite good.
2) Work has been very quiet lately. Rather than stand around doing nothing after all the cleaning/stocking is done, I bring knitting with me and work on that. My current purse project is a dish cloth. Nothing too exciting, but it doesn't take up too much room, and it's pretty mindless. Plus, I can pick it up and put it down at any point, and not get lost in any kind of patterning. I'm almost done this cloth, and I think I'm going to put a neck warmer in there next. It's a bit bigger, but I prefer knitting those over cloths. Something about the soft yarn just calls to me.
3) I worked on Christine's baby gift while watching the Yarngasm podcast. I have ball three and four of 4 started, so I'm just past halfway. It's still dragging along. I'm trying to force myself to do a few rows everyday, but it's hard. I love the yarn and the pattern, its just that I have to pay attention and count while knitting every other row, and I usually like to just knit mindless things. I have to get it done!! The baby is due to arrive a bit before I go to Guatemala, so amongst all the preparations, I have to knit on it. Not to mention, it has to be washed and blocked. And since it's a thicker wool, I feel like it might take a little while to dry. Gotta think positive. I CAN get it done and I WILL get it done!
4) I made gnocchi with mushrooms and egg for breakfast one day. We had half a package of gnocchi that had been sitting open in the fridge for a while, and a container of mushrooms that were on their way out. I had to use them both up before they went bad. Added an egg, and that tied it all together. I'm definitely going to be making this again. I love gnocchi!
5) These are a few of the bows I've been making. I have a lot of ideas for these. I'm making them pretty much assembly line style. I knit and cast off a whole bunch, then sew them all up in another sitting. I haven't cut all the ends, but that will be the next step. Then adding all the findings. They are going to become a few different things. I don't want to spoil what that's going to be until I have some made. I think they're going to be super cute!
6) This is a dumb thing that happened this week that I wasn't going to share initially. That's the baby toe on my left foot. I stubbed it on the corner of the stairs before work the other day, and I'm pretty sure I broke it. It's been hurting since then, and the bruising spread to the top of my foot. I'm not too concerned, as I've broken toes before, it's just a minor inconvenience. I hope it stops hurting before the trip!
7) The photo of this doesn't do it justice, so you'll just have to trust me on this. I made lentil soup a couple days ago. I took a photo of a 4 ingredient recipe that was in one of my moms magazines a while back, and finally got around to making it. Lentils, carrots, onions and chicken brother are the only ingredients, so I knew it would be healthy, but a little bland. Instead of just boiling all the ingredients, Rick suggested I sautee the onions in a little bit of oil before and getting a little more depth of flavour. Definitely a good idea. After cooking, I added some curry powder, chilli powder, turmeric, and coriander. And then salt and pepper when we served it. It turned out really good! I blended it last night, and it tasted even better.
8) On Wednesday, I had a dentist appointment to get my teeth checked and cleaned. I have a couple minor cavities, as well as the tooth I broke recently, so I have to head back there in a couple weeks. After the visit, Rick and I went to Bubi's for lunch. I've heard loads of good things about this place, and to be honest, Rick and I were both a little disappointed. My chicken quesadilla had very little chicken in it. His gyro was nothing but "Bubi's sauce" as far as taste goes. I don't think he and I will be going back.
9) I posted a photo of my quesadilla on Facebook, and my friend Katie from Blab! commented saying that we should go visit her and her business partner at the office. Rick had mentioned wanting to check out the building their new office is in, so we decided to go. The new digs are way better than the old place. Larger, airier, brighter, it's great! We stayed for a little while, chatting and catching up with Katie and Jessica, and it made me miss living in Windsor quite a bit.
10) Today I had my interview with two of the lovely ladies from Guatemala Hope. There was a lot to absorb, lots of questions to answer, and lots of homework. But, I am incredibly excited. Unfortunately, I'm missing out on one of the events tomorrow because of work, but there's going to be a make up session at some point next week. If you would like to help me out, you can purchase something from my Etsy shop, and 80% of that money is going to my trip.

Overall, this week was pretty alright. Minus the crappy news about work today. I'll probably post more about this another time. This post is already huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment