Friday, May 27, 2011

A Baby Blanket, and Some Lofty Goals

This is part of a baby blanket. I started it either two or three days ago, I honestly don't remember. The yarn is incredibly soft, and perfect for a tiny new baby boy. Plus, it comes out of a rather large skein, which brings me to the Lofty Goals the title of this blog post mentions.

I want to organize my yarn stash.

It is taking up way too much real estate in the office. Well, on the floor of the office. My goal is to make all of my yarn fit into the storage I have for it by December 31st 2011, except for the few cones of machine yarn I have. Those are too big to fit in the drawers, and can sit nicely on top of them, anyway.
There are a few ways I am going to go about this:
-Knit more. This is easy. I knit often. Quite often, some might say. I could be knitting more, though. At work, when there is downtime, after I clean and such. Or when I am watching TV shows and movies. I used to do that all the time, but lately, I haven't been doing it as much. Or in the car. We don't have a car right now, because of the accident, but I am still in a vehicle every few days. I need to get back in the habit of keeping a dishcloth or something in my bag all the time. The only problem with this part is that my bin for holding finished items is full to the top. I need to sell some stuff in order to fit more in there.
-Give some yarn away. This is getting more difficult to do. I have removed most of the yarn I don't use often/don't like form my stash over the past months. Most of it was donated to a group I knit baby hats with. I'm sure I could find more to get rid of, but I'm sure it won't be much.
-Actually organize the yarn. I said I was going to do this before, and I got frustrated half way through. That ended with me shoving skeins here and there, into whatever drawer was the closest. I want to have each drawer only hold one type of yarn, and in a fairly organized fashion. Keep all the same colours/dye lots together, partial balls in one part of the drawer, etc.
-Not buy any more yarn. This one will be difficult. If something that I use often is on crazy sale (Lion Brand Homespun for $3 a skein? Sure, I'll buy all of them) I will probably cave and buy it. And if someone asks me to knit something for them, I will buy the yarn for that, only if I don't have a reasonable substitute.

I am going to try my hardest to have everything organized by the end of this year. Once I get some stuff tidied up, I will take some photos of my current stash situation. I don't think I have ever photographed the entirety of my stash. This could get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment