Wednesday, August 3, 2011

An Update on Charity Knitting

LeeLee Hats has a goal of putting a hat on every baby that is born at Hutzel Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. With the number of volunteers that have joined this group, I can see that happening within a year.
I've been knitting with LeeLee Hats for a while, and donated quite a bit. I am up to 47 hats for the babies in the NICU. I have also donated loads of yarn, which has helped other members knit and crochet so many more. I am nowhere near as many hats donated as some of the other volunteers. They often bring in 30 hats at a time, to every meeting. There are meetings every two weeks. Some of those ladies, and their husbands, are machines, I swear!
I've posted a photo of my first batch of hats already, and it's time to post the rest.
There were a couple more that I've made, but they were grouped with some other hats knit by other members. Just pretend you see two more hats than are pictured here! I also still have about 4 or 5 hats to sew up and donate.
I am pretty sure we are over 2000 hats given so far. As soon as I talk to Tracy, I will find an exact number.
We have quite a few events coming up in the next few months that will help us get even more hats made and donated.
LeeLee Hats is at the forefront of a international day of knitting. On Friday, September 30, everyone is encouraged to knit as part of Knit-A-Thon North America. There are some really neat events being organized in different parts of the world that day. I don't know of all the details, but I do know that Ireland has something to do with it.
I will certainly be posting more information as I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment